Traditional Plum Cake For The Festival!
Make Traditional Plum Cake For The Festival!
Marry Christmas! It’s time to revel in the Christmas celebrations with a delicious plum cake. What excites us most about winters are the festivities in the air.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup figs chopped
- 1 cup dried apricots chopped
- 1/2cup dried ginger chopped
- Half cup candied orange peel chopped
- Three-Fourth cup Brandy
- 225 gms butter melted
- 380 gms flour
- 1.5 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Half tsp ground ginger
- Half tsp ground cloves
- Half tsp salt
- 300 gms breakfast sugar
- 150 gms packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- Half cup apricot jam
- Half cup warm water
- Stir together dried fruit, candied ginger, candied orange peel and brandy. Keep overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Butter two 9/5 inch loaf tins. Line them with butter paper.
- In a bowl mix dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In a mixer beat butter and both the sugars until smooth. Mix eggs one at a time followed by molasses and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture. Mix till smooth. Add the fruit mixture and walnuts.
- Divide the batter between the two tins. Bake for 1 hour and 35 minutes or till the tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and brush the top with more liquor. Remove and place on a wired rack.
- Heat the jam and water till smooth and glaze the top of the warmed cake.
- You can boil the dried fruit and candied fruit, strain and use immediately if running low on time.
- Brandy can be substituted with any other dark rum or orange flavored liqueur.
- Use the best quality dried fruits available.
- Unglazed cakes can be shrink-wrapped and stored for up to one month in the fridge.
Read Also : Make a Brazilian Prawn Stew in 30 Minute
Cook Time: 1.35 hours
Difficulty Level: Easy
Recipe servings: Two 5/9 inch loaf tins
Preparation Time: 30 mins